No skips, no shuffles

Monday, December 31, 2007


Tim Buckley
Anthology

I am contemplating buying an ipod. Post-xmas stocks are down but I’m going to strike – and I wondered today, might I give in to shuffling? But then again, it has taken me over a year and I’m still only up to Tim Buckley…maybe the ipod will speed me up a little – I blame the MSc and nuclear proliferation.

Tim Buckley is one of the musical souvenirs I hold from my relationship with Dan – I remember talking to Adam about Bob Dylan recently, he is steadfast that my warning systems set against the man relate to the learning curve to wall-to-wall Dylan instilled by the poisonous academic, and that if I could get out of the context of that, I’d really understand Dylan. I do understand Dylan, and truthfully, subterranean thingy is enough for me, although I did always like the clothes line saga. I know enough to join in with the hmnas when the red wine evenings turn that way.

Tim Buckley ticks all those troubadour boxes I should despise and sneer at. I think it’s his voice that trembles me elsewhere, I much prefer it to Jeff Buckley, and I hear again the icons of different generations jostling in my head. On the live at Sin-e EP I bought for Dan with the amazing version of The Way Young Lovers Do, you could hear the ghost of Tim Buckley crowing through the upper register of young Jeff as he warbled in those late 80s coffee shops. I drew diagrams about why I preferred Tim Buckley to Jeff Buckley, but I couldn’t describe them now. I do know the diagram appears in my drawing diary from 2004, and the other picture I drew that day related to when I went to pick up my new reading glasses, and outside a computer shop somewhere in the backstreets of Morningside was a notice next to a dog saying “Please walk me”, I went in the shop to check if they were joking, and no, they were stuck with dog-sitting and were all too busy so put the sign up and hoped for honest dog walkers to pass by. I was listening to the new David Byrne album and was listening to the bizarre brass-band hymn thing about post 9-11 Imperialism and walked in late Spring with a novel-borrowed dog by my side as I went to Spec savers and back. Around my picture of myself with this dog is a series of dots and dashes which (I remember now) related to Tim and Jeff Buckley, something related to just the words, and the extraneous, Baroque-kinda flourishes. I think my musical and literary brains fight together sometimes, and I have little patience with the padding many vocalists go for. Although beautiful, and truly the ending of Jeff Buckley’s version of Alleluia is incredible, I want to know the thrust and the jist of the song.

I know most of these songs by their shape rather than their content. Not enough to identify them outside of Blue Melody or Song to the Siren – but looking again at the titles I recognise Sally go round the roses, Moulin rouge. I remember this one too, the dramatic piano, “Pleasant Street” and the guitar stabs I love so well myself. Wow. I have been reading Slouching to Bethlehem by Joan Didion recently, and this makes me think of all those alarming stories, five-year olds an acid, wearing white lipstick, but presenting as a typical five-year-old. Was she really on acid? It sounds too frightening. It must be said there are elements of the self-conscious time-signature changes that annoy me. Hallucinations, it’s almost too narrative, and in the same way I get annoyed with the Oooh yeahs that fill in spaces in the music, I can only take so much of the music being forced to hop skip and jump nervously to accommodate the skittering and fussy words.

There is something so sunny about this music. I think of his young man asking “Will you ever remember me?” and I want to tell him that those yellow sunny afternoons weather well, and even in the pain of memory the idea of keeping your head above the storm and seeing the whole view (am reading JB Priestly again) renders it benevolence rather than decay. I will remember you, but remembrance alone is no guarantee of anything (check every November). The piano in the next song is incredible. Morning Glory. Angels. I can’t come in, it’s too high a climb. I loved the sloppy choirs in that last song, but here in Goodbye and Hello I can hear it becoming proggy, and I don’t like it…folk-prog is a prog too far…I wave goodbye to speed and smile hello to a rose…reminds me too much of Hair, the age of Aquarius…hippy prog does me no good, I want the digital end of this. It’s fucking regressive, this urge to de-evolve back to mud huts and medievalism. The way the music stops and starts and stops and starts (I wave goodbye to Mammon and smile hello to a stream…wonder how many units that little couplet shifted…?) speaks of episodic desperation. There is nothing helpful written about this huge song in the useful booklet. The song feels like a manifesto of sub-Tolkien daisy-woven masturbation. His voice remains amazing though. I’m hanging tighter onto those amazing tones and waiting for the song to creak itself to an end.

The vibraphones of Buzzin’ Fly are such a relief I may need more coffee. You’re the only one I talk about, the only one I think about. I like so much the way his music stretches and relaxes into jazz, like one of those catching yawns when the extraneous of the party disappear and it’s left to a favoured few and cups of tea and open arms.

As I struggle with trying to install those damn lampshades I bought in July and fail (I give up, I think they’re the wrong shape, or something) Tim Buckley sings his first live concert in “this country” – I can ‘t work out the MC’s accent. Is Tim Buckley English or American? The useful book tells me he was born in Washington DC on Valentine’s Day.

I had intended to do a jaunt up the Gloucester Road, but the rain and the cosiness are keeping me inside with another cup of coffee and the second CD. But since I’ve been looking at photos for the duration of the CD up until track 5, I must confess I haven’t been paying attention, but the music has swept around in a rainy-afternoon-way. I realise it’s Friday evening creeping up and hope therefore that those of my friends who are a) returned post-xmas and b) back at work already may be inspired by the Friday-night for a bit of humorous drinking tonight. This is cosy, corduroy music and I am reacting accordingly. I even ate toast and marmite. It’s incredible to listen to his voice – you forget that half of these tracks are recorded live, and the control and finesse (although that is a stupid word) are staggering…Blue Melody and Moulin Rouge feel like coming home.

I have to stop the dusting and the cleaning because Song to the Siren is on. I remember how I felt when I taught myself the chords, walking round the corner to the Watershed and thinking of the deliciousness of the change from F to F7. I knew the acoustic version first, then this, the electric. I remember Dan saying how he grew to prefer to electric, and Hayley saying the same – wasn’t it in Lost Highway or something? I love to sing this song; when I sing it, swinging around the wide beige living room of Picton Street it seems to open my throat in a way few other songs do. I think of Talking Heads and their interrogations on the back of Stop making Sense. Why a Live Album? I grow annoyed with the change in lyrics on the electric, the line “I’m as puzzled as the oyster” is a jewel I hold in my hand, in my pocket, and need it to remain the same – even though it holds menace for me, walrus and the Carpenter style.

I want to think more about the song, but there are a few more songs in-between, and it seems that the arrangement of this album requires me to hold off for a while…the weird funk-style which typified Tim Buckley’s late career is making its first appearance, I remember so well the tape Jack made for us that had the weirdest, the most unpleasantly sleazy (Get on top of me woman, get on top of Timmy) song I could imagine this beautiful voice singing, and maybe I was informed by one or other that this was Tim Buckley’s get-out from a contract that was increasingly stifling him – to be as terrible as possible. It is a wonderfully comforting thought when confronted by the tail-end of his career. And it is impressively awful. But, I hear in places the kind of lop-sided smirk that I can hear in the wonderful Iffi from time to time when he sings…I wonder where Iffi takes that from…it sounds like nothing I’d expect him to reproduce from hearing him talk, but then little of Iffi’s’ singing puts me in mind of the style of his speech
But, song to the siren reappears, the live version from The Monkees TV show, of all places. There is so much more dignity in this song than all that has gone before. It’s based on…the Greek story of the sirens, dash yourself on these rocks. The helpful book says the lyrics are so close to the original (Tennyson? I have no idea, should read it again, don’t want to stop) it’s almost no difference. I remember an evening in Renatos with Dan and lots of other people (crowded, sit on the floor and it’s fine, everyone will sit with you) talking about this song, and realising with a flash what it is that makes Prufrock so beautiful and sad and links the two together – while Tim Buckley, brown hair crowning him and moving in the wind, he is the figurehead on this boat, doomed no longer, has the lift of the chin enough to challenge the sirens to come to him instead, Prufrock knows, quietly, that he will never even hear the tempting song, much less turn it on its head. I see them both together, Tim Buckley facing off a sunset and Prufrock walking away, and somewhere behind both of them is Dirk Bogarde sweating and dying on his deckchair with the camera framing a blonde boy standing on the seashore. To have never heard temptation, and to have never been able to refuse it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home