No skips, no shuffles

Monday, September 03, 2007


The Beatles
Abbey Road

The blues appear again…the Revolution in the Head statement about inability to turn music history backwards and return authentically to the origin…that must be where development comes in. That must be how genres and styles mould themselves. I used to sing Come Together at Yo Sushi and it became more lounge than expected previously. What a strange opening song really, I expected it to be “Something” first…I’m tired, this album isn’t exciting me. The harmonies and strings sound so sophisticated though, and I feel that (although I’m taking my time over it admittedly, surely this was the point of this whole chronological/alphabetical binge in the first place) I understand the growth of George Harrison’s songwriting all the way from “Don’t bother me” to this…

While as ever I admire the use of language and sound of the words in Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, I feel irritated by everything…perhaps I’m too tired to write about this now, but I can also understand (also, perhaps for the first time) why people don’t like this. I hope the feeling doesn’t last. I’m also aware of a little Moog counterpoint going on. That irritates me too. Just because you have a new toy and all…although part of genius is genius losing its way, part of genius must involve not being a fucking prick about things…and then Oh Darling appears…fight the urge to take headphones off…what is the attraction to this song? This style? Lyrically…musically…I would have to walk out of a gig if some-one played it and if a suitor began declaring his feelings in this way I would have to close the door. And I want you…I’m not enjoying this…and I have to confess the next few songs disappear in a blur until You never give me your money…I find the music making little sense now…is this the outcome of too many albums of theirs so close head to head and back to back? Golden Slumbers is glorious. The shortness of the songs…is it a virtue? Is it not being hung-up on some golden three-minute rule or is it just turning them out? I don’t know how I feel about short songs and wonder if the desire for more is sometimes the point. This is a short entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home