No skips, no shuffles

Thursday, January 11, 2007


Anthony and the Johnsons, I am a bird.

OK, and another album one after the other. This is the first time (so far) in no skips no shuffles where I’ve run out specifically to buy an album just in time to listen to it. The New Year jet-lag I experienced back from Japan left me with a terribly virtuous sleeping regime, which meant early starts, cleaning and essay-writing, then off into town to wander around the shops. Anyway, I bought a clutch of CDs, and when I realised I was coming up to listening to the first Anthony and the Johnsons album, I needed the second one.

Dan bought this on recommendation from someone or something. And what a lovely and amazing album. More polished than the first, I think, and this is the one that seemed to get the band noticed everywhere…everyone I met that spring had heard of them, and they played in Bristol some December which we failed to get tickets for…

It’s beautiful, there’s nothing really more to say. All the songs are structured so perfectly. I can’t help but thinking that letting Boy George to duet with him in “You are my sister” was a bit of a mistake, although it does highlight how gorgeous his own voice is when he comes back in. Rufus Wainwright, on the next song is probably a more equal match for his voice (Rufus Wainwright got around a bit didn’t he? He duetted with David Byrne on Grown Backwards, and as I’m sure I’ll mention again, even though his and Byrne’s voices were mismatched, it worked well in that duet…David’ Byrne’s singing too high and straining for the notes but it sounds great, while Wainwright pours his voice over the secondary line…)

I’m not writing much about this album. It reminds me of John Street and driving in Wales. It reminds me of green and blue in the air together, of working on the Wasteland in one room, with this playing just outside my headphones in the next. It reminds me of wonder of new music discovered, of a tolerance from record shops I thought had long gone and I could only retain by dipping my hand into the past or the unfashionable. Of softness and elegance not mocked. Motown and Mozart sit on the same sill and the cars trickle past. Again, I am writing about poverty and redistribution discourses, and the Thatcher-led disintegration of moral responsibility to one another, the oroboros of zero-sum exchange systems and all I can do is sway and smile. I love this album and I welcome it back into my possession.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Liz! I see you have visited the site of Chris. He and I are skyping on Sunday!! Got your text. Talk soon!!!!!

     
  • At 5:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah, but I think there is something much more to having Boy George on "You Are My Sister"! Surprisingly to me, not many people realise that the singer of Anthony and the Johnsons is a so called "trans" person (i.e. messes around with gender). When I was doing some research for a talk on gender that I gave at my university a while ago, I found myself spending a whole night reading about the physical abuse that trannies face in the UK and US. I was reading about the most morbid murders, rapes, beatings, etc, that all these people had been subjected to solely because of their gender status. I went through hundreds - there is a website that lists trans victims since the early 90s (can't remember the name/address now), and each "case" has a description of the horrible death the person faced, and a little picture of the person too. Without fail, every single one of my trans friends (and I have quite few) have been physically abused for being trans, often systematically for a long period of their lives. To me, "You are my sister" is a sort of comfort song - a soundtrack to that website with all those dead trannies. It's an extremely dark and morbid song to me, and the fact that part of it is sung by the old, passe, fat, no-longer-glamorous-and-did-too-many-drugs-in-the-90s Boy George, only adds to the disturbing nature of the song. It's like an elogy that is trying to be hopeful, but that miserably - and so truly realistically - fails.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home